Search This Blog

Decadent Chocolate Mug Cake Sundae



This is the perfect dessert for lazy Sundays. For those days when you must have something sweet, but baking a whole cake is just too much effort. Strip it off the ice cream, and you get decadent chocolate cake, which has satisfied my sweet tooth on many a nights while living on my own.


There are many mug cake recipes out there. I'd like to believe that I have tried every one of the first 10 results Google throws up...and none of them turned out well. To be honest, it took me many a mug cakes to perfect the recipe. It took a lot of trial and testing, but I think I have finally found THE ONE!
So grab your favourite coffee mug & treat yourself to one of these.

2tbsp flour
2tbsp sugar (preferably castor)
1tbsp cocoa powder
2tbsp beaten egg
1tbsp butter
3tbsp chocolate
2tbsp fresh cream
1tsp instant coffee powder

In your mug, place butter and chocolate and microwave for 30sec intervals till chocolate is melted. Add in the cream, cocoa powder and coffee powder and mix together. Now add in the sugar and stir till combined. Add in the flour one spoon at a time to avoid lumps. Mix well till combined and then finally add the egg. Mix well and microwave for 2mins or until cake 'rises' i.e all the batter is 'cooked' to become the cake.


Note: Your ingredient quantity should be proportionate to the cup you use. My cup is the same as a large starbucks coffee mug. Allow for some width and some height in your choice of mug as the batter rises significantly.
1 whole egg is too much, 1 egg white is too eggy, 1 yolk too dense, but 2 tbsp is just right


Serve with ice cream and drizzle with my homemade caramel sauce. Add in some nuts for crunch or drizzle with your favourite liqueur.