Search This Blog

Home Made Caramel Sauce




This sauce is a must have in my kitchen. I usually whip up a big batch around christmas. Not only does it serve as a wonderful xmas present, I can also store the remainder sauce to help me dress up desserts throughout the year. I use it for ice creams and cakes; in my coffee to create my own caramel macchiato  or as a dip...and I love it as itself too....sprinkled with sea salt, covered in peanuts...you get the picture.

Caramel is finicky. It goes from perfect to a burnt mess in the blink of an eye. Make sure you give this sauce your undivided attention. And to be honest, making caramel scares me a bit, but practise makes perfect. And when you nail it, the outcome is extraordinary. I guarantee you will never buy those super sweet jarred versions again.

A word of caution:
Caramel is HOT so be very very careful. For your reference, water boils at 100 degrees, while the sauce you are attempting to make will reach a temperature of 175 degrees.

Makes a jar of sauce

1cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup cream heated till warm
2tbsp unsalted butter

In a heavy saucepan (must be able to hold atleast 5cups of water), add the water and sugar. Swivel the pan around to moisten the sugar. Heat (on low) and stir, till the sugar dissolves completely and the syrup starts bubbling. Stop stirring completely and allow it to boil undisturbed until it turns a deep amber. Immediately remove from heat and slowly and carefully pour the hot cream. It will bubble furiously, don't panic! STand back and keep your face away from the pan.

Stir the mixture till smooth. If any lumps develop, heat the mix and stir till they dissolve. Stir in the butter. The sauce will be streaky but will become uniform after stirring and cooling slightly. Allow the sauce to cool before pouring into storage jar.


Use a wooden spoon or silicon spatula to stir. Be sure you soak your cooking utensils in hot water after you are done, it makes it easier to clean.