Search This Blog

Bacon Chutney






I am a big believer in edible gifts. I'd rather gift a friend a jar of something delicious than a lame shopping voucher. It shows thought, effort and love. A colleague from work and a good friend was leaving the city and moving to Bangalore. This guy is a sucker for all things bacon. So after a lot of searching I found an amazing Bacon Jam recipe. But what started out as jam came together while cooking to become an amazing Bacon chutney.



Having a jar full of this is so handy, its one of those condiments that can brighten anything. Use it as sandwich spread, in pancakes, stuff in in omelettes, or my personal favourite...eat it right out of the jar. Needless to say, my friend loved it and unknown to him, I've selfishly reserved half for myself. Don't judge! you wouldn't want to share it too!



Makes approx. 250gms

250gms chopped Bacon 250gms
1tbsp Mustard seeds
1tbsp Chilli powder
1tbsp Sugar
1 stick of cinamon
250gms Cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 tsp oil

In a saucepan, heat oil. I'm using the bare minimum amount of oil, as the aim is to cook this chutney in rendered bacon fat for additional flavour. Add the bacon and cook till done. Now add the mustard seeds. Once it tempers i.e. starts popping, add in the sugar and chilli powder. Now add the tomatoes and cook on a low heat till cooked. You know the chutney is done when the tomatoes start losing its shape and mash easily.