Search This Blog

Two Ingredient Nutella Cake

Happy New Year Everyone!!!




As a prequel to my Nigella Lawson Project, I thought I'd keep it simple. I was invited to a friend's party and wanted something easy and quick to whip up. I had a jar of Nutella and this recipe at the back of my mind that I've been wanting to try out forever. I've been toying with the idea of a flourless cake for a while, and I think Nutella is the perfect ingredient.

Note: This was an experiment on my part with just a mix and match of ingredients in my head. I knew the basics about flourless cakes, but this recipe was a shot in the dark. But it did have amazing results. How can one ever go wrong with Nutella?

My tips on making this recipe:
  • DONT CHEAT. There are only two ingredients and it is easy to make. It takes 10 minutes to make the batter, but if you try to simplify it or lose patience with the eggs you will end up will poor results.
  • The key to the cake is the whipping of the eggs. The egg whites must be whipped to death. This is what creates the texture of the cake and prevents it from being 'eggy'.
  • Warm up the nutella to make it a little runny, but not too hot or your eggs will cook up
  • When you fold in the eggs and Nutella, it needs to be done in batches to avoid deflating the egg mix


Ingredients:
4eggs (separated)
Half a jar of Nutella

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius.  In a big bowl, whisk the egg whites till extremely fluffy. I'd suggest you use a stand mixer or a hand mixer, just plain elbow grease won't do the trick. You are looking at a nice thick, silky smooth consistency that is atleast three times the volume.

Microwave the nutella to make it a little softer. Beat the egg yolks and add that to the nutella. Whisk together to form a smooth paste. Add 1/4 of the egg whites and gently fold into the chocolate mix. Repeat till the mix is fully incorporated.

Pour batter into tin and bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean. Let cake cool, dust with icing sugar and serve.
























Note: since no flour is use, the texture of this 'cake' is more marshmallowy