Search This Blog

Traditional Christmas Cake


Christmas is here!!! Well almost. And how can there be Christmas without cake. Baking the Christmas cake has always been a family tradition...after all the recipe has been passed on for generations. We all have our bits to play while making this cake. My job was to beat the egg whites till peaks form. Unfortunately I won't be sharing my family recipe this time. My family is in moaning, and there are no jingling bells at home this Xmas. I still however, insist on cake. So I'm adapting the recipe for Christmas cake from Nigella Lawson's How to be a domestic Goddess. And since it was a Christmas present from my fiancee, this post is dedicated to you Shrey.


You may remember my post on prepping for the Xmas cake. I promised a little short cut to all latecomers like me. The trick is to boil the fruits in your alcohol the night before. Let it cool sit for atleast 6hrs before you use it in your cake. I would ideally like to soak my fruits for atleast a month, some people soak it for months before christmas. I'd say that 6 months should be the ceiling limit, post which the fruits get so laden with alcohol that they come apart and kinda blend into the cake. So you lose the integrity of the fruit.

For the fruit:

My traditional mix involves raisins, currants and candied fruits and peel. I would however (if time permitted me to get my hands on them) add candied ginger, plums and cherries. But you can add any dry fruit or non citrusy fruit you like. My personal favorite (if they were easily available in my country) would be cranberries and prunes. For measurements and quantities Nigella has an amazing chart which you can use depending on how big or small a cake you want to make. Chop the fruit and put it into a huge Tupperware box. Add 1/2 bottle of dark rum or wine or whiskey or brandy. It may seem too much but over the course of the month, the fruits with soak it up. Cover fruits and store.

Tip: You can tip all the boozy fruits into that cake and save the liquid. You can use the spirit in frosting or drink it as your own special homemade christmas tipple.

For the cake:

I was making a big batch of cake, hence the large quantities. These measurements will make you two large cakes. For one big cake, just halve the measurements.


500gms plain flour
500gms unsalted butter at room temperature
300gms brown sugar
12 eggs
250ml molasses
2tsp ground cinnamon
2tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2tsp baking powder
250gms walnut (optional)
250gms cashew (optional)
The fruit mix

In a large bowl, cream the butter and then add in the sugar. Once combined, add in the fruit mix and the nuts. Mix till combined and then add in the eggs. Now add the dry ingredients one by one starting with the spices and moving to the flour in the end. Mix till all ingredients are fully incorporated.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Bake for 1hr and then turn down the heat to 150 degrees. bake for another 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Will you look at that crust!

This cake will last you for several months. To enhance the boozy flavour, keep feeding the cake some alcohol every week (if it lasts that long!). Just use the same spirit you used in the cake and brush it over the cake. The cake will absorb the flavour.




Too keep the cake moist, wrap it in tin foil as soon as you bring it out of the oven. The foil will trap the steam, and give you a really moist cake. I like my cake fudgey with a nice crust on top as well, so I omitted this step. If you would like a crunchy crust on top, sprinkle the batter with sugar just before your pop it in the oven. The sugar on top caramelizes to give you a lovely golden crunch.