Search This Blog

Baked Chocolate Samosas



Samosas are my all time favourite tea time snack. There is nothing more comforting that piping hot samosas and chai...especially during the rains. And I think its so versatile. Traditionally indians use potatoes as stuffing, but I love meat fillings. And this got me thinking on sweet based fillings.

Being vegan really got me scratching my head for innovative desserts. I love sweets, and thats what I'm craving most. I had some left over spring rolls sheets from my previous recipe. And I recently discovered that dark chocolate (atleast the brand I used:Goldsmith) and Hersheys chocolate syrup are vegan!!! Hallelujah! I think I did a mini jig in the supermarket. So, I put the two together and omg it is divine! You have the crunchy exterior and beautifully gooey chocolate exterior. Its heaven in a bite. I made one and deep fried it. But it was too unhealthy and oily to eat beyond the first bite. Hence I tried baking it works just as well.



Ingredients:

Springroll sheets or samosa patti (both easily available ready made)
Dark chocolate bars chopped into cubes and frozen
Hershey's chocolate syrup

(No measurements here. You cannot put restrictions on chocolate :) Just ensure there is 1 cube of chocolate for 1 sheet)

It is essential that you freeze the chocolate before using. Room temperature chocolate will melt soon and ooze out leaving you with a big mess. Frozen chocolate with retain its shape and still give you a gooey centre.



Preheat your oven to 150 degrees Celsius. Place the spring roll sheet on a flat surface. Drizzle with Hersheys syrup. Use the back of a spoon to spread around evenly. This syrup not only gives an additional chocolatey taste but also acts as a glue to keep the rolls in shape.

Fold the sheet in half on the chocolate side. You should have a clean springroll surface again. Drizzle with chocolate syrup again. Place the cube of frozen chocolate in the middle and fold according to preference. I really experimented with shapes here. I did a traditional triangle, but also made springroll shapes.

Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place these rolls on top. Bake for 15mins or till slightly golden. If you aren't vegan like me, I'd suggest giving the rolls an egg wash before baking. You can drizzle with olive oil if you wish for a really golden crust, but I'm going for a 'healthy' version.

Pull out of oven, and let it cool. Enjoy the crispy and gooey treat!