Search This Blog

Going Vegan

The day has finally arrived! I'm turning vegan. Before you disown me forever, I just want to say that its a temporary shift. Let me rephrase: I'm turning vegan for lent i.e: from March 5th to April 20th.

For those of you who don't know Veganism is abstaining from the use of animal products especially in your diet. Veganism takes vegetarianism one step further by avoiding animal products and by-products. This means no eggs, no dairy, and in some very strict versions no honey.
Being a hard core carnivore and dessert-a-holic, this switch is going to be really hard for me. But I take on this challenge. In the spirit of experimentation and blogging, I'm going to try and feature interesting vegan food here. Veganism is a concept that is completely new and alien to me. Which is why I'm nervous and excited at the same time to be cooking and experimenting with dishes.

I must provide a disclaimer though. Its not easy to make the switch to veganism completely. I can't do the 100% pure vegan deal. I am allowing myself to use certain ingredients (like honey, beer and dark chocolate). I'm also restricted with choices. Unlike the west, we don't get meat replacements like tempeh and seitan, nor is it easy to find egg, cheese and butter replacements. So I'm going to do the best I can to whip up yummy and exciting vegan dishes. Wish me luck!