Search This Blog

Skinny Pasta with Homemade Pesto







All that baking does call for some healthy meals once in a while. And who doesn't like pasta? I think its one of the few dishes I am more than happy to chow down on even if it is completely vegetarian. That was actually one of the ways my mom got me to eat veggies growing up. So if you do find the odd cauliflower in your pasta when you visit home...don't say I didn't warn you!




Why is this pasta skinny? For the following reason:

  • I've used dried whole wheat pasta. While this may be an improvement, pasta is still a complex carb, and a processed one at that. So I've cut down the portion of pasta and increased the portion of veggies/ meat used. 
  • I also went easy on the pesto. I want it to lightly coat the pasta, not drench it and over power the flavour.
  • I've used Olive oil, and very little of it. I'm using red meat which does release its own oils. Plus the pesto also calls for oil in good measure. I hate eating a dish where the oil is easily visible. Which is why I used the meat oil as a base.
  • I used cheese sparingly. Now while you may argue that one must omit the cheese altogether, it is an important ingredient in any pasta. Unless you have rock solid will power, you will most definitely want some cheese.  
Now go make this pasta while I watch TV with a tub of ice cream :)

For the pesto recipe, check out this link.

200gms whole wheat pasta
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup meat of your choice cut into bite sized pieces. I've used some chicken and ham
Salt & pepper to taste
Cheese to garnish.

Cook pasta in boiling water and salt until al dente. Drain the water, but reserve a cupful. This water contains most of starch which will form the basis of the sauce. Add the pesto to the hot pasta and ladle in a spoonful of the drained water. Stir till the pesto coats all the pasta.

In a pan sautee the ham. Once the meat starts releasing its oils, add in the onion and garlic. Cook till onions are soft and translucent. Add in the chicken and sautee till cooked. Add in salt and pepper to taste. Combine with pasta in a serving dish and finish off with grated cheese.



Note: I haven't added veggies here as my pesto already has the goodness of spinach. However feel free to add any veggies you like.
Traditionally pasta is finished off with grated parmesan, but being in India this is an extremely expensive ingredient. Which is why I have used mild baby cheddar.