Search This Blog

Almond & Chili Pepper Pesto



Ah pesto! What can it not do; toss it in pasta, marinate it with meat, add it to salad etc. The best part is how versatile and creative you can get with ingredients. According to me, as long as the core ingredients of olive oil, garlic and basil are present, it doesn't matter what you put in the blender to make 'pesto'.

So here is my version. I've basically used leftover basil from my previous recipe and whatever I could find in my fridge. I had these beautiful red peppers left over so my pesto has a real kick. Its not too spicy when you remove the seeds, but still, definitely not for the faint hearted.
Disclaimer: I'm using chilli peppers which is similar to capsicum, do not confuse them to actual red chillies.



2 cups Basil
1 cup Pepper
3/4 cup Olive oil
1/4 cup Almonds
1/4 cup Cheese
3 cloves garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste



The best part about pesto is how easy and quick it is to make. Just toss all the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender. Blend till until its a fine mix. Drizzle in olive oil while the blender is mixing, until it forms a smooth paste.



Note: Using almonds completely changes the taste and texture of the pesto. Its a lot creamier, and there is a distinct nutty taste. Plus its a lot heavier, so cut down the generosity while spooning it over your pasta. The plus side is that this recipe also makes a fine sauce for noodles.
I also sprinkled the pesto with some lime to lighten it up.