Search This Blog

Amarula Phirni



Phirni is India's version of rice pudding. Made from ground rice and served in traditional earthen bowls called shikoras, it is a bowl of nostalgia for any Indian. I pondered hard on how to spin this lovely dessert without losing its integrity. And for that I turned to my favourite liqueur - Amarula.



Being in New Zealand, I couldn't really find traditional shikoras, but I thought these tart shells are the perfect vessels. It provides a nice crunchy texture and cuts the richness of the dessert. And I am a big fan of edible bowls.



Recipe:

  1. Rinse 1/4 cup basmatic rice and drain. Grind the rice till the consistency resembles coarse semolina
  2. In a saucepan, bring 1ltr of milk to boil
  3. Once the milk boils, add ground rice and 1 cup of sugar and stir
  4. Stir till the milk reduces to about 50% and turn off the heat
  5. Once the mixture is cooled to room temperature, add a generous amount of Amarula and stir
  6. Refrigerate for 2-3 hrs to let it set
  7. Serve on store bought tart shells with a sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa  




Amarula can obviously substitued for any cream based liqueur you have, like Irish Cream or Sheridan.


You can also flavour the milk with cardamom. In case you cannot find tart shells I'd recommend serving these on Biscotti