Search This Blog

Frittata

A Frittata is an egg dish, kinda like a cross between a quiche and an omelette. Frittatas have saved me countless hungry nights. I can just whip whatever I have on hand to make a sumptuous meal. Its perfect to get rid of any leftovers. Your kids hate veggies? No problem...make a frittata!

Traditionally frittatas are eggs with some veggies and meat, thrown into a skillet. But I'm anything but traditional. I have these beautiful Chorizo sausages I got from Goa, which got me thinking on giving a Spanish twist to this Italian favourite. So I have decided to marry the Italian Frittata with the Spanish Tortilla de Patatas...and voila!

Ingredients:























(Serves 4)
6 Eggs
2 Potatoes
4 Cloves of Garlic
200gms of Chorizo
100gms Cheddar cheese

(Like I mentioned, you can use absolutely anything but the kitchen sink. I'm going for a Spanish twist, but feel free to try mushrooms, cauliflower, chicken...whatever you have in the fridge)

Pre-heat the oven to 200°Celsius. Chop up the chorizo into bite size pieces and sauté in flat heavy based pan. I don't add in oil as the meat releases its own oil as it cooks. Once the sausage is cooked, add in the garlic. In another pan, boil the potatoes with some salt, until cooked. Chop up potatoes into bite size pieces and add it into the sausage pan. Whisk eggs in a bowl and add add in grated cheddar cheese. Now pour this to the sausage mix. Tilt the pan to make sure the eggs settle evenly. Cook for a minute or two until you see the eggs at the edge of the pan beginning to set. Sprinkle some more cheddar on top (this will give a nice cheese golden crust)


































Put the pan in the oven and bake for 10mins or until the eggs are set. Cool and cut into slices to serve.

To serve:
Frittatas are a meal in itself so you can serve a slice as it is. Or try it with some toasted garlic bread. Leftovers are nearly as good as out of the oven. I like to eat it as breakfast, or mush it into crumbs with some rice and soy for fried rice.